THETIS ISLAND PORT COMMISSION (TIPC)
In the early 1900s a timber wharf head connected by a wooden trestle was built
as a dock to serve Thetis Island. Long before the ferry service began, this
facility served the island as the main cargo/delivery point to and from Thetis.
Owned initially by the province then federally, it became known as the government
Transport Canada divested itself (owner since about 1920) of the Thetis Island
government dock after about eight years of effort by Thetis Islanders to acquire
the facility. Late in 2002 Thetis Islanders voted by referendum (85% in favour
of CVRD Bylaw 2356 - a service establishment bylaw} for operation and maintenance
of the Thetis Island wharf. CVRD took on ownership and assumed liability (cost
bourne by islanders) for the facility. Similarly, although this time by counter
petition, bylaw 2387 was passed early in 2003 which allowed CVRD to assume a
similar service contract for the Thetis Island boat launch in Telegraph Harbour.
The Thetis Island Port Commission was established in 2003 under bylaw 2400
to manage both these facilities. Volunteer members consist of five elected Thetis
Islanders appointed by the Regional Board upon recommendation of TIRRA, one
Improvement District Trustee and the Director for Electoral Area G - Saltair/Gulf
Since inception TIPC has undertaken a major revitalization of the existing
facility spending the one time $300,000 divestiture grant. The facility was
refurbished, made more user friendly and continues to serve, among other functions,
as the main medical evacuation point by boat from Thetis Island.
TIPC continues to maintain, manage and operate the facility for community benefit.