UPDATES RE PROVINCIAL DECISION ON FERRY FARES
Letter from Tony Law to the Driftwood, re: "FACs Working on the Big Picture"
"Let's Rock the Boat" - article in Island Tides, April 3, '08
"New Prepaid Ferry Cards" - article in Island Tides, April 3, '08
"Stop Erosion of 'prepaid' discounts" - - article in Island Tides, April 3, '08
BC Ferries' Smart (Coast) Card - Details
1. The contract amendment recently signed by BC Ferries and the BC Government
2. A SUMMÅRY of this amendment by the BC Ferry Commissioner
3. A Press article from the Times Colonist dated July 7, 2007 describing an accurate perception of the new amendment and the government's action.
Preparing for the second Contract term!
Your Ferry Advisory Committee (FAC) (see link to "Your FAC") members are busy working for your interests relating to rapidly increasing ferry fares. The contract between the BC Government and BC Ferries is currently being finalized, to be completed Apr, 2008.
This is a subject you should keep abreast of. Since the start of the new Ferry contract in 2003 our fares have increased approximately 55% with an additional 60% increase forecast by the end of the second contract in 2012. Please peruse the following material so that you can make a knowledgeable contribution to the discussions you have and the input you provide to the government.
Educate yourself on the issue.
1. Review the Key Principles embedded in the Coastal Ferry Act and the Contract between the BC Government and BC Ferries. (see link to a summary "BC Commissioner's Report Summary", for more detail, see the complete act at http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/C/03014_01.htm
2. Understand who the players are and the timeline (see link). Remember time is slipping by and you can make a difference. Voice your opinion (see link to "What you can do").
3. See what the BC Commissioner has recommended to the Government for the Price Caps and process to handle fuel surcharges for Performance Term 2 (2008-2012) (see link "BC Commissioner's Report Summary", and for more detail link to http://www.bcferrycommission.com/rulings.html
4. Understand how our route (Route 20) is funded and what the costs are to run it. (see link to "Route 20 Income & Cost Trends")
5. Understand how these fare increases will affect you as resident of Thetis Island. (see link to "Route 20 Fare History and projections")
6. See how the change in fares have affected us here on Thetis by reviewing the January 2007 survey done here on Thetis by your FAC reps. (see link to Impact on Thetis)
7. See what has happened so far and what your FAC reps have been doing (see link "What your FAC has done so far")
8. Understand the conclusions your FAC reps have come to by reviewing their Position Statement (see link "FAC's Position Statement")
FINALLY, understand what you can do to have your voice heard on this subject (see link "What you can do" - Which Contact - What to Discuss. PLEASE SEND YOUR OPINION TO THE GOVERNMENT TODAY.
Other items of interest:
1. Press Release 1 from the Committee of all FAC Chairs
2. Press Release 2 from the Committee of all FAC Chairs
3. Press Release 3 from the Committee of all FAC Chairs
4. The Letter that the Ferry Advisory Committee Chairs sent to all
5. A letter from the Council of Tourism Associations to Kevin Falcon,
Minister of Transportation.
6. A letter from our very own Denham Kelsey with an excellent message
for Minister Falcon
7. Minister of Transportation's typical response to people who have written to him expressing concern about the rising costs of ferry service. His words are in bold. Thanks to Tony Law, Chairperson Ferry Advisory Committee for Denman-Hornby Route, some comments in italics are added.